1861 - Private Hammond - Daniel Leano

Dear Ma
 I'm writing to y'all, to let y'all know that I'm still alive and in one piece. Bootcamp was fairly easy, and I  finally became a private. I was in my first battle recently, called it the Battle of Bull run for the river running nearby.  There were many different types of people watching the battle and man were they surprised. Abolitionists and Copperheads were fighting and debating over their beliefs. At the beginning, we were winning, but near the end, we were tired of fighting, everything changed and we had to retreat. During and after the war there were many casualties, people who needed amputations and in the process of retreat, we lost many pieces of artillery. Although we lost the battle we will win the war. Many of our men died, but there were many Dixies who died.

                                                                                                        Sincerely Private Hammond

Comments